Saturday, November 27, 2004

Introducing 小学生 (Shougakkusei) Diary: Genuine Documentation from the 1980s


Sitting in Living Room with My Dog Maria: c. 1988

Pronouncing judgment yesterday on my elementary school experience moved me to revisit my 5th grade diary this evening. It was so weird to hear what the guy in the above photograph had to say about being a gaijin kid in a Japanese elementary school that I have decided to include entries from it from time to time. It has been a real challenge to type it out as is without Word autocorrecting it, but . . .

“You Know You’re an MK When . . . ‘5. You speak two languages, but can’t spell in either’.” —by Andy and Deborah Kerr

月 [Monday] January, 25 [1988]
To day my teacher got out on the rong side of her bed. I whish she didn’t because she screamed and hollard all day. But after lunch she was in a better mood. May be she didn’t have a proper breakfast.

I didn’t get home until 4:30. I walked my dog right away and did my home work. Mommy gave me a money making chart. All I have to do is look up about 50 things in the Encyclopedia and read them and I’ll get 3300¥. I am going to use it on my invention. My invention is a pair of shoes that if I push a button springs will pop out of the bottem so I can jump around. I am going to add more things to it. (I was born in 1977)