Thursday, September 01, 2005

Captain Canada: I Am an Imposter

When I first returned to Japan a year ago I brought virtually no Canadian paraphernalia with me. The primary reasons for this were a) I was concerned about getting my entire personal library across the Pacific and therefore wasn’t about to waist any precious luggage space on Canadernalia and b) after five years of living in Canada I really didn’t see any point in doing so anyway. After about a year in Kazamaura I realized the error of my ways. I finally conceded that I can better fulfill my contractual obligation of convincing village children that learning English is fun if I present myself as Captain Canada rather than as some ojisan who lives across from the junior high school and happens to have a brown beard. Nevertheless, in spite of my best intentions to fill a suitcase with maple leaf trinkets from the dollar store, I kept procrastinating. The day of our departure found me still virtually mapleless, so when I saw some “Canada” T-shirts in a kiosk at the airport I grabbed one, thinking that at least I could use this T-shirt as my uniform for elementary school visits. For reasons made obvious in the photo above, it will be Yuko who wears this T-shirt around town. That will teach me to go grabbing t-shirts off of racks without making sure there isn’t a capital “S” on the tag. Then again, tight clothing is pretty fashionable among Japan's urban dandies . . . even the nominally "straight" ones . . .