Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbour's Corn . . .

Coveting My Neighbour’s Corn

My Neighbour’s Corn

My Corn

The Furrow Curving around My Earth Mounds is My Marigold Line

Perhaps the best way to describe my garden (I should no longer bring Yuko into the whole sorry affair by calling it “our garden”) is: “Left Behind.” There are a number of reasons I can think of as to why this came to be. 1) The soil of the lot that was lent to me is terrible. 2) Everyone else in the village uses chemical fertilizers and insecticides; I don’t. 3) Everyone else uses synthetic garden aids, such as plastic ground sheets, vinyl plant housing and fine mesh nylon netting. To make matters worse, it has been a cold and cloudy spring and with average temperatures hovering nearly ten degrees below the optimum atmospheric temperature for corn. Incidentally, the particular neighbour who’s corn I have been coveting the most claims that her family is the only family in the neighbourhood to successfully harvest and eat corn—all the others, so she says, lose their corn to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field.

One of My Holey Potato Trees: I Should Have Planted My Marigolds at the Same Time I Planted My Potatoes in Order to Ward off the Potato Bugs

My Marigolds are Sprouting (except at the far end of the garden where a neighbour accidentally ploughed them under with a tiller)