Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Changing Face of Higher Education

Grandpa Elliot and Grace (in Ajigasawa, Japan) Helping Aunty Sarah (at university in Manitoba, Canada) with an Essay

When I went to college there may have been an Internet, but I had never heard of it. In fact, the only computers I had ever seen had black screens with green text. They confused me. When I transferred to a four year college after my second year, I chose the school that accepted hand-written applications. I didn't have access to a typewriter, word processor or computer. Well, maybe I did, but I didn't know how to use them so it wouldn't have made any difference. Sister #4, on the other hand, grew up with computers and the internet. She applied for college online. And now that her first essays are due, she is able to enlist the advice and assistance of parents and siblings by means of email, MSN Messenger and Skype. I wonder what my life would have been like if I had had internet during high school and my first two years of college?