Sunday, January 13, 2008

Birthday (Long) Weekend

Birthday Day 2

Now that I am thirty-one I dispense with the pleasantries like candles, cutting, and sharing--I just dig in.

Just kidding. I share, because I have been blessed with a family to share with . . .

. . . not to mention my beautiful wife who made my birthday cake for me in the first place. (She says it is a double-chocolate fudge cake with Hershey's chocolate whip cream). This is a perfect time to reflect (as I do every birthday now) on all those cake-less, friendless, family-less birthdays that I spent homeless on the Alaska Highway or semi-frozen on winter army exercises, etc.

Birthday Day 3

Did I say I shared? Well, maybe a little with (my wife) Yuko. Hypocrite that I am, I don't let (our daughter) Grace eat food loaded with cane sugar, even though there is photographic evidence that I myself consumed inordinate amounts of chocolate cake on my very first birthday. I let her eat the strawberries, though, since my birthday is, after all, her half-birthday (and vise versa--January 12/July 12).

After my second go at my birthday cake, we went out for a walk so that Yuko could have some peace and quiet. Our house is the one on the left, and the shiny snowcapped mountains beyond the sea are part of the island of Hokkaido.

Upon returning to our front yard . . . .

Lately, Grace has taken to falling asleep in the sled. As one can see from the previous photo, it makes me look like I'm pulling around a dead body, which can be a little awkward when people drive by.