Friday, October 17, 2008

Kazamaura Report: Another Strange Food

An Ostrich from an Aomori Ostrich Farm
(or should I say, "ex-ostrich")

I'm guessing that eating ostrich meat per se is not unheard of in the English speaking world. In fact, I understand that it is quite popular in some circles.

But What About Eating It Raw?

. . . At a Happy Little Ostrich Eating Party with Friends?

Not to Mention the Grilled Guts

Again, not a big deal in the English speaking world since eating animal offal has a long and (I suppose) noble history there (can you say "Rocky Mountain oyster," "head cheese" or "chitterlings"?). Nevertheless, I do not share in that tradition and, while I ate my fair share of raw ostrich, I took a pass on the intestines sizzling on the grill. Incidentally, if you are an ex-pat living in Japan, please take the time to explain to your Japanese friends and colleagues--in lengthy, vivid and nauseating detail--that the West has just as long and illustrious a history of eating animal guts and seafood as Japan does. I'm getting really sick of the phrase "only in Japan" (especially since in Toronto I often heard the phrase "only in Korea" applied to many of the exact same things). Yes, we might all eat our animal guts in slightly different ways, and perhaps with greater or lesser frequency as the case may be, but we're really not all that different after all. "If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh?"
I did not plant peppers this year, but there you are. All kinds of marvellous things sprung forth from my compost disposal area this year, and although I pulled most of the tomato, squash, pepper, and miscellaneous other plants along with the weeds, this one somehow escaped. I originally weeded out all of the spontaneous vegetable growth because I was given to understand that it wouldn't amount to anything, but there are at least four peppers on this plant and they have grown to quite a respectable size now.